Being a camper or leader on a CRU Camp is a great way to achieve the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award Residential Project section. Here are some ways in which certain camps meet the requirements:
• General activities camps/study camps: Try new experiences and broaden your understanding of the Christian worldview through talks and daily discussion groups.
• Leadership camps: develop your skills in leadership and engage in sessions that will challenge you to think about leadership from a Christian worldview.
• Specific skills camps (skiing, water skiing, dirt bike): Set goals to improve your skills in the main activity of camp. Work in a team to achieve combined goals too.
• Lead on a camp: serve and mentor young campers through a full week of leadership (must meet CRU Camps Volunteer Requirements).
It’s always best to check with your Award Leader (supervisor) to make sure the particular camp meets the exact requirements and your goals.
If you are going to be using a CRU Camp for your Residential Project, there are some things to keep in mind:
• You need to ensure that your Award Leader (supervisor) has approved the CRU Camp.
• You need to communicate with CRU Camps your plans to use the particular CRU Camp for the Residential Project and communicate any needs of your Award Unit (e.g. forms for your Assessor).
• You will need to take responsibility for the setting of goals. Our leaders are more than happy to assist you in setting and reaching your goals but they are not responsible for you completing the requirements.
• You need to be in communication with the leader who is your assessor on camp to organise a time for the assessment to be completed at the end of camp.
While CRU Camps volunteers will be very supportive in your completion of the Residential Project, the overall responsibility will be yours.
If you would like to use a CRU Camp for a Residential Project, please:
1. Confirm with your Award Leader that the particular camp you are thinking of meets the requirements.
2. Register for camp if you are a camper OR fill in a volunteer expression of interest if you are intending to be a leader.
3. Contact CRU Camps to inform us of your intentions.
We look forward to seeing you on camp and wish you all the best in completing your Duke of Ed Award.
Check out the camps